Friday, April 1, 2011

ACK! Welcome to Low Gas Consumption Month!

Hello there.

I've just spent the last several hours pouring through boxes of old photos, looking for a picture of me on a bike.  And I didn't find a single one.  Apparently, those are in one of my parents' custody, because I know they're out there.  I also was looking for some pictures of me in a doing a high ropes course to prove to CW that my arse looks enormous in a harness, thus I don't want to go rock climbing with him.  Couldn't find those either.  I did however find a picture of my brother on a bike, several pictures of friends as awkward children to scan and post on Facebook, and one photo of a staged Barbie orgy.  What can I say, I was a messed-up little kid.

Needless to say, as this is a more public platform than even Facebook, I won't be posting any of those here.  So here is a photo of my bike, and my ex-boyfriend's bike.  Mine is the one on the left, the one that's mostly not in the picture, versus the blue one that is mostly in the picture.

bikes on the rail to trail bridge
I got new tires shortly after this photo was taken.  My bike subsequently lost four pounds.

So this bike... Well, can I just tell you that I've had it since the late 80s?  I've had it since I was 12-1/2 years old.  Seriously, I have been pedaling the same cycle for TWENTY-TWO years.  And yeah, sometimes I think, "maybe biking would be easier if I had a newer flashier bike."  But hey, it's still working.  It has 18 speeds or gears or whatever you call them.  It has a bike rack.  And as of tonight, it now has a red flashing back light and a fancy-pants spot headlight.  Nevermind the fact that I've had my bike lock for about... TWENTY-TWO years, or that I bought my helmet at Fred Meyer for $20.  The bike is pimped out and I'm ready to dive into April, my month of low gasoline consumption for Operation Consumption Liberation!


Behind the gator, which I drove just fine
I will also not be driving any Gators this month.  FYI.

I discussed my biking fears and the current economics of gasoline last time, so without further adieu, here are the guidelines I'll be adhering to this month:

1. No driving the car except (A.)for when I'm volunteering as an ElderFriend--I got to be able to visit and transport my friend who lives in Shoreline; and (B.) for emergencies.  That's it.

kayaking in Seattle!!!
Acceptable mode of transportation #1: kayaking.


2.  I  will not be going on a road trip or flying in an airplane this month.  Who can afford that anyway?

baby horse!  Baby horse!
Acceptable mode of transportation #2: riding a horse.


3.  I will accept rides with friends to carpool to outings IF IT MAKES SENSE.  In other words, if I'm going out to eat with my friend ES, it is totally cool to ride together because she lives less than two miles away.  But if I'm going out to eat with my friend SW, the only way she's driving from White Center-abouts to pick me up is if we're going out to eat in my hood, or North of here, and I'm not going to suggest that.  Better I bike or take the bus to meet her somewhere halfway.

lucy the swimming hippo
Acceptable mode of transportation #3: swimming.


flamingoes feeding
Acceptable mode of transportation #4: ride a flamingo.


4.  Speaking of the bus, I will be limiting my bus use.  Sure, the bus consumes less gas and pollutes less than all of its passengers in their own cars, but the bus is also EXPENSIVE.  SO here's how I'll be limiting my bus use: (1.) I'll be putting approximately the current cost of one tank of gas in my car onto my Orca card.  (2.)  When I run out of bus money, that's it for the month.

Photo by Andy Nystrom
So, for the record, here's the bus money math: The price of regular unleaded in Seattle is $3.795 right now.  My gas tank probably holds more than 12 gallons, but for this purpose, that's what it holds.  So a tank would cost me $45.54, so I've put $45 on my Orca card for April.  If I ride the bus only during Peak hours (1-zone peak fare=$2.50 w/ transfers for 2 hours), that gives me 18 rides for the month.  If I ride the bus only during Non-Peak hours (1-zone non-peak fare=$2.25  w/ transfers for 2 hours), that gives me 20 rides total for the month.

 Mind you, this last month, I burned through four bus fares in one day easy ($9.50 worth)--all I did was go to the office, come home to change, whereupon I went out with friends for dinner and a movie, and then came home.  I think I'm going to want to be careful about how I use those bus fares, because I'm going to want to meet up with friends and there will be late nights when I will want to get home and I won't feel safe or energetic enough to bike.  Not to mention really RAINY days.  This is Seattle after all.

Which means (5.) I will be riding my bike or walking as much as possible all month long.  Or running.  And I'm not opposed to rollerskates--I had a dream I was wearing these hella cool skates the other night--they were funky brown leather knee high boots on wheels, totally awesome.  If you know where I can get skates that rad, let me know.

Oh yes, I need to add something to my life to compensate for my removal of car and gas.  Something BESIDES more biking, which is grand, but is also work.  Hmmm, I'm open to suggestions.  Though I'm leaning towards dark chocolate, or flowers....

Chocolate with Hazelnuts I brought from the US
Chocolate doesn't get realer than this.
poppies!
Poppies, Poppies, everywhere!

No comments: