Thursday, February 16, 2012

Snacky Crazy!

Overdue, overdue!

This is my long-delayed Operation Consumption Liberation (OCL) update about how my month without sugar (January) went and what February's OCL challenge is all about. But it is February 16th.  I can hardly remember January, I think it might have snowed a bunch.   But the rest of it...big fat blur.

Snowy in Seattle: Ravenna Park

But I did survive No Added Sugar January redux.  Like before, it was challenging at times.  Let's reflect on what I wrote at the end of No Added Sugar January last year:

"So how did a month without sugar treat me? It went pretty well.  It wasn’t always easy, but it wasn’t that hard either.  And it treated me pretty dang good.  I felt good, though on some days, I felt like I tried to make up for the absence of sugar with more fat in my diet than really was optimum.  It is true; meat, nuts, and cheese have been my go-to defense this month.  I can’t even tell you how many bags/jars of almonds I’ve inhaled."

My experience wasn't wildly different this year. What I don't recall is if I ate the meat and cheese and nuts in regular meals last year, or if I just snacked all the time, which is what I did this year. Last year, I lost my holiday weight in No Sugar month.  This year, I probably put on a few pounds. I went SNACKY CRAZY.  

Which is why, when I was devising OCL 2012 calendar in mid January, I decided it was time for me to get my snack consumption habits in line. Thus let me extend to you a belated "Welcome to Snack Control February!"

Snack Control February does not equal No Snacking. I am trying to be more conscientious about when and how much I eat.  Let me tell you about my two trouble spots in the snack department.

Late-night ice cream?  Why yes, I think I will.

During a typical month, I'm likely to be eating dinner after 9 PM on at least two or three nights. Also, it is not unusual for me to have a "second dinner" (otherwise known as a late-night binge) once or twice a week.  I think I've written before about my late-night binges when I eat anything edible in my kitchen while watching something stupid on TV or online, and I don't end up in bed until 1 AM.  I know, stupid, but sometimes I just do this.  But it's never really caused me to put on weight until recently (though I'm sure it hasn't helped me lose weight).

The other trouble spot regards a change in my life since last winter: I stopped renting an office space in September and now work at home.  Among the many challenges of working from home is unlimited access to my fridge.  Sure, I had a fridge in the old office too, but it was small.  It had room for maybe three days' worth of lunches, max.  So I'd pack my lunch to the office and that was just about all I had to eat until I called it a day.  The office building had no vending machines, it wasn't located within close walking distance of any cafes or grocery stores, and I'm not one to drive to get lunch somewhere, unless I'm going home.  It was a great set-up for snack & portion control. Now, anytime I'm hungry, I just walk to the kitchen and help myself.


See that tiny fridge? It can hardly contain a salad.

Here are the basic guidelines of my Snack Control February: 
  • I will eat three reasonably sized meals a day. If it better suits my schedule and needs, this can be four smaller meals instead. This is essential to keep Snacking Frenzies at bay.
  • I am allowed two small snacks, one between breakfast and lunch and one between lunch and dinner. Small snack equals a package of string cheese, a piece of fruit, maybe a rice cake.  If I have a class at night, I'm also allowed a snack at the designated break to keep my energy up.
  • No snacking after 8:30 PM.  Period.
So you might wonder how it is going so far since we're more than halfway through February already.  Truthfully, it was aces until last night.  I don't know what came over me, but it was 11:30 PM and I was just going to wash my few dishes while watching an episode of Parks and Recreation before hopping in bed, and suddenly, I was chowing down on a rice cake.  Then another.  Then some 100% chocolate chunks with spoonfuls of peanut butter.  And one more rice cake.  A total late-night binge.  Oops.

Mistakes happen. Today, I'm resolved to get back on the wagon.  There will be no late-night snacking tonight, or tomorrow, or any night until February is a distant memory in the past. Given the fact that I've lost a few pounds of my January weight gain, I think it is worth it.

No comments: